NORTHERN HIGHLIGHTS & THE ARCTIC CIRCLE
16 Day Tour from Helsinki to Oslo
- Shown in UPPERCASE in the tour description including admission charges where applicable.
- Visits to Helsinki, Oulu, Rovaniemi, Tankavaara, Sámi Park in Karasjok, North Cape, Coastal cruise Honnigsvag-Hammerfest, Narvik, Mo, Mosjöen, Geiranger, Lom, Lillehammer.
- Arctic Circle crossing, Lapland and Santa Claus Workshop, Tysfjord ferry crossing, Atlantic Road.
- Local Guide for city sightseeing in Oslo. Professional Tour Director while touring.
Travel from Helsinki, Finland, to Oslo, Norway, via the breathtaking North Cape. This comprehensive journey crosses the Arctic Circle, and visits the Santa Claus Workshop, a gold museum where you can try panning for gold yourself, a Sámi park to learn about Sami culture and traditions, and the North Cape to see the longest days in the Northern Hemisphere. Other highlights include a coastal cruise to admire the coastline from the water, a WWII museum, and stave churches. You will be mesmerized by pristine nature, never-ending forests, spectacular waterfalls, and enchanting fjords. Enjoy a delightful blend of culture, landscapes, and history on some of the most awe-inspiring routes of the European Nordic countries.
For more information please contact HEERA at:
Check into your hotel. The rest of the day is free for you to start exploring Helsinki. Tonight, meet your Tour Director and fellow travelers. HELSINKI Scandic Park (F).
An included orientation drive this morning features the City Hall and Parliament House, the Presidential Palace, and the great LUTHERAN CATHEDRAL. Then, head north through unspoiled forests and lakes for an overnight in Kuopio. (B,D) HELSINKI Scandic Park (F).
Stop in the picturesque university town of Oulu, situated on the Bothnian Bay. Then, follow the shoreline as far as Kemi before heading inland to Rovaniemi for an overnight. (B) KUOPIO Sokos Hotel Puijonsarvi (F)
A whole day to enjoy the capital of Finnish Lapland. For hundreds of years it was famous for exporting furs and salmon to the world’s rich and powerful. Unfortunately, the town was totally destroyed during World War II. The new town, which you’ll visit during this morning's orientation drive, was designed by Alvar Aalto in the shape of reindeer antlers. Sights include Lappia Hall, the Town Hall, the new modern church with its intriguing frescoes, and the Arctic Center. Afternoon at leisure or join an optional excursion to find out more about Lapland. (B) ROVANIEMI Scandic (F).
As you cross the Arctic Circle (66°31’N), you are in incomparable, unspoiled Lapland, land of reindeer and the midnight sun. Stop at the SANTA CLAUS WORKSHOP with a chance to meet Father Christmas himself. North to Sodankylä, where you see the charming Vanha Kirkko, Lapland’s oldest WOODEN CHURCH, dating back to the 17th century. At Tankavaara, visit the GOLD MUSEUM and try panning for gold if you wish. Overnight in Saariselkä, on the edge of the virgin wilderness and part of Finland’s major national park. It is the largest winter sport center in Finland and a paradise for hikers and mountain bike lovers in summer. (B,D) ROVANIEMI Scandic (F).
Via Ivalo you cross into Norway for a visit to the fascinating SÁMI PARK. Head farther into Norway and along the beautiful Porsangen Fjord to Honningsvåg on the island of Magerøya, home to 4,000 people and 5,000 reindeer. Tonight, one of the highlights of this tour is the included drive to the NORTH CAPE, Europe’s last northern outpost, on a sheer cliff rising 1,000 feet from the Atlantic Ocean. From May 11 to July 31, if the sky is clear, you’ll see the midnight sun rolling just above the horizon! (B,D) SAARISELKÄ Holiday Club (F).
An early start today: one of the highlights of this vacation is a FJORD CRUISE from Honningsvåg to Hammerfest. You will enjoy some of Norway’s most beautiful coastal and mountain scenery as you cruise southwards. Disembark at Hammerfest and drive to Alta, situated at the mouth of the world’s richest salmon river, for an overnight. (B,D) HONNINGSVÅG Rica Honningsvag (ST).
Continue your unforgettable journey south along the stunning shoreline of Norway. The road meanders along Kvaenangenfjord and Lyngenfjord. You are now in the Troms Province, still way beyond the Arctic Circle but with a climate mild enough to allow very successful farming. Hear about fierce World War II battles as you approach Narvik, rebuilt after near total destruction. (B) ALTA Rica Alta (F).
Visit Narvik’s WAR MUSEUM and relive how Norwegian troops, with the help of their allies, showed the world that the Nazi war machine was not invulnerable. Afternoon and evening are at leisure. Optional excursions are available. (B) NARVIK Riva Narvik (F).
This morning, enter Nordland. Not far from Mo you cross the Arctic Circle again and return to a world where the sun rises and sets every day of the year. Overnight in the little town of Mo I Rana. (B) MO I RANA Rica Meyergarden (ST) NARVIK Riva Narvik (F).
On the agenda today: picture stop in Mosjöen; the spectacular LAKSFORSEN WATERFALL; the forests and rivers of Namdalen Valley; and vistas of Trondheimfjord, the World War II hideout of the German battleship Tirpitz. (B,D) MO I RANA Rica Meyergarden (ST)
Leave Norway’s third-largest city, also known as the “Gateway to the North,” this morning. Travel via the spectacular Atlantic Road from Christiansund to Molde to reach the Geiranger area for an overnight. (B,D) TRONDHEIM Quality Augustin (F) or Quality Panorama (F).
Enjoy the sites of this enchanting area on your own or join the optional Geiranger fjord cruise. (B,D) GEIRANGER AREA Geiranger (F).
Today, travel via Dalsnibba for a stop in Lom. Take pictures of the STAVE CHURCHES before heading toward the famous winter sport resort, Lillehammer, host of the 1994 Winter Olympics. (B) GEIRANGER AREA Geiranger (F).
Head for Oslo via Eidsvoll. On arrival, vistas of Akerhus Castle, the 14th-century fortress guarding the harbor, a highlight on the included tour that features the soaring CITY HALL, National Theater, Parliament, Royal Palace, Broadcasting House, and Gustav Vigeland’s stark sculptures of people and animals in FROGNER PARK. (B) LILLEHAMMER Clarion Hammer (F).
Your vacation ends with breakfast this morning. (B) OSLO Comfort Borsparken (ST).
Prices are calculated per person as following:
- Adult Price: USD 3159 per person
- Child Price: USD 315.90 per person
Single supplement price is $750.00.
Helsinki Arrival Transfer Helsinki-Vantaa Airport:
$25.00 per person
Oslo Departure Transfer Oslo Gardermoen Airport:
$25.00 per person
Cash,Credit cards and Bank transfers.
You may confirm this reservation with a $750.00 non-refundable deposit.
Following items are included in the price and you will not charge for them:
- Buffet breakfasts; 7 dinners
Price Does Not Include:
Following items are not included in the price and you may have to pay it:
- Visas and vaccinations.
- Transfers; tips to your Tour or Cruise Director, Local Host, driver, Local Guides, and/or ships' crew; gratuities on ferries, trains, and cruise ships; porterage at airports or train stations.
- Laundry; telephone; minibar; alcohol, beverages, and food outside of the contracted menu as presented at a hotel or restaurant (these extra items will be billed to you before leaving the hotel, ship, or restaurant)
- Additional excursions and activities not listed as 'included' in the itinerary.
- Travel Protection premiums.
- The price listed does not include your airfare.
Please read the policies carefully. This section contains important information.
* CANCELLATION POLICIES: 25% Penalty less than 2 weeks to arrival - 50% Penalty less than 1 week to arrival - 100% Penalty less than 1 days to arrival or no shows.
* CHILD POLICIES: Children ages 8 to 17 on the date of departure are welcomed if accompanied by an adult.
* INFANT POLICY: Infant less than 2 years old consider infant and free of charge ( Except flight ticket ).
* VALID FOR: Minimum 2 person travelling together.
* REMARK: Not applicable on TBA space. Not applicable to custom tours. Not combinable with any other promotion except the Journeys Club Repeat Traveler benefit and the current air promo. Applies to new 2015 bookings only, and offer will not be applied to pre-existing bookings. Offer reliant on space availability. Full cancellation penalties will apply.
* MEALS: Buffet breakfasts; 7 dinners
* AIRPORT TRANSFER TIMES & FLIGHT WINDOWS:
Helsinki Arrival Helsinki-Vantaa Airport - 6:00 AM - 4:30 PM
SET TRANSFERS AT 8:30am, 1:30pm & 5:00pm
Oslo Departure Oslo Gardermoen Airport - 6:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Some links to related information: