SPAIN, PORTUGAL & MOROCCO (5830)
16 Day Tour from Madrid to Madrid
- Shown in UPPERCASE in the tour description including admission charges where applicable.
- Visits to Avila, Salamanca, Coimbra, Batalha, Fátima, Portuguese wine bodega, Seville, Casablanca
- Serra da Estrela, Andalusia, Guadalquivir Valley, Costa del Sol, La Mancha, Middle Atlas
- Local Guides for city sightseeing in Madrid, Lisbon, Rabat, Marrakesh, Fez, Granada-Alhambra. Professional Tour Director while touring
Combine the highlights of the Iberian Peninsula with fascinating Morocco on this unforgettable vacation. Start in Madrid, Spain’s grand capital, then visit fortified Avila with its many towers, and renaissance Salamanca. Enter Portugal and arrive in Coimbra, a charming hillside town that overlooks the Mondego River. Visit the Batalha Monastery and the Sanctuary of Fátima, and arrive in explorer Henry the Navigator’s exquisite city of Lisbon. Spend two nights in spectacular Seville before boarding a ferry for Morocco. As you arrive on the African continent, motor along the Barbary Coast to Rabat, capital of the Kingdom of Morocco, and stop in Casablanca to see the illustrious Hassan II Mosque. Next, head through the Middle Atlas mountain range to Marrakesh, known for its colorful Djemaa el Fna, a square bustling with acrobats, storytellers, dancers, singers, and food stalls. Spend two overnights in the old walled city of Fez. Visit a traditional medina on the included sightseeing tour. Re-cross the Strait of Gibraltar and return to mainland Spain. Drive through the Andalusian countryside to Granada for a treat: a visit to the exotic Alhambra complex, residence of Moorish kings. Retrace Don Quixote’s footsteps as you travel past the windmills and castles of La Mancha, then return to Madrid for the conclusion of your exciting journey.
For more information please contact HEERA at:
Check into your hotel. The rest of the day is free to start exploring lively Madrid. Tonight, meet your Tour Director and fellow travelers. (D) MADRID Praga (ST) or NH Abascal (F).
Of the Spanish capital, situated 2,180 feet above sea level, the Spaniards say it’s the nearest thing to heaven. You’ve only a day here, and it’s certainly worth making the most of it by joining the included guided sightseeing tour: a full panoramic drive by way of the Avenida Mayor, Puerta del Sol, Parliament Square, and a picture stop outside the ROYAL PALACE. The optional trip to Toledo is most rewarding, too. The splendid setting of this old walled city above the Tagus was made famous in El Greco’s painting, and even now it’s like a great open-air museum of Spanish history and art. Tonight, consider joining your fellow travelers at an optional traditional tapas evening, a fitting way to say Adios to Spain! (B) MADRID Praga (ST) or NH Abascal (F).
West for a visit to fortified Avila with its many towers. Next is Salamanca, just six miles from the spot where Wellington routed Napoleon’s army in 1812. Make sure you spend some time wandering around Plaza Mayor, the grandest square in Spain. Across the frontier to Guarda, the highest town in Portugal. From here, descend to the valleys of the Serra da Estrela to Coimbra for an overnight. (B,D) MADRID Praga (ST) or NH Abascal (F).
This morning, enjoy your orientation tour of Coimbra, celebrated for its beauty and ancient university. Later, travel southwards to Batalha with a visit to its beautifully sited MONASTERY. Today’s unique highlight is a visit to the SANCTUARY of Fátima. En route, stop for an enjoyable wine tasting before reaching Portugal’s capital, Lisbon, for two overnights. (B) COIMBRA Dom Luis (ST).
Henry the Navigator made Lisbon the 15th-century “mistress of the seas.” On the included tour, see his monument, the Belem Tower, the Moorish Citadel, and the impressive Black Horse Square. Spend the afternoon in the Alfama’s tile-decorated streets, or take an optional excursion to coastal Estoril and Cascais. (B) LISBON Roma (ST).
From the rolling plains of the Alentejo with its woodlands of cork and eucalyptus trees, southwards all the way to the brilliant light of Andalusia. Admire its neat white-painted villages and sun-drenched plantations of olives, figs, and almonds, while traveling by way of Beja into magnificent Seville. (B,D) LISBON Roma (ST).
At leisure in one of Spain’s most colorful cities. Perhaps you’d like to spend this morning enjoying an optional sightseeing tour including the main highlights of this vibrant city. (B) SEVILLE Don Paco (ST) or Tryp Macarena (F).
An interesting drive today through Spain’s pretty sherry wine region and south to the coast. Here, you will embark the FERRY and cruise across the Strait of Gibraltar to Morocco on the African continent. Motor along what was once the infamous Barbary Coast, then join the new motorway for the drive south via Kenitra to Rabat for an overnight. (B,D) SEVILLE Don Paco (ST) or Tryp Macarena (F).
Today starts with an included guided city sightseeing tour of the country’s lively capital. In 2013, Rabat was a filming location for the movie Black Hawk Down. Later, via Settat, reach Morocco’s westernmost city: Casablanca. Enjoy a short break in this modern city and see the illustrious Hassan II Mosque—perched dramatically on a platform over the Atlantic Ocean. One of the largest mosques in the world, its minaret soars 689 feet into the sky and part of the mosque’s floor is made of glass so worshippers can kneel directly over the ocean’s waters. Continue on to the historic oasis city of Marrakesh. (B,D) RABAT Rihab (ST).
The highlight of this morning is included city sightseeing that will make you feel like you’ve been whisked back in time. Founded in the 9th century, Marrakesh remains a tapestry of ramparts, mosques, palaces, gardens, and vibrant public squares and souks (markets)—where buying and selling and a carnival of entertainment and fascinations occur daily. An optional excursion this evening is the perfect end to the day. (B) MARRAKESH Zalagh Kasbah & Spa (ST).
Today, motor through the fragrant cedar forests of the Middle Atlas mountains, where a number of peaks soar above 13,000 feet in elevation. This range is home to the endangered Barbary ape, as well as wild boar and polecats. On your way north to Fez, enjoy glimpses of North African village life reminiscent of Beau Geste. (B,D) MARRAKESH Zalagh Kasbah & Spa (ST).
Ancient Fez is a city of outstanding scenic beauty. Visit the MEDINA during included sightseeing this morning, and enjoy the maze of narrow streets through the colorful bazaars and exotic atmosphere. In the afternoon, explore further on your own. (B) FEZ Zalagh Parc Palace (F).
Today, an early departure takes you north for the FERRY back to mainland Spain. Drive along the coastal road of the Costa del Sol (Coast of the Sun) to reach Málaga for an overnight. (B) FEZ Zalagh Parc Palace (F).
Head into the heart of Andalusia to reach Granada. On the agenda: an included guided visit of the ALHAMBRA, a lavish palace and fortress complex built by Moorish kings. With construction dating back to 889 AD, you’ll marvel at its architectural beauty and magnificent gardens. This afternoon, there’s time at leisure. (B,D) MALAGA Tryp Alameda (F)
Travel north today through the very heart of La Mancha, famed for its castle and windmills. (B) SIENA Mercure degli Ulivi (F) GRANADA Don Juan (ST)
Your vacation ends with breakfast this morning. (B)
Prices are calculated per person as following:
- Adult Price: USD 2189 per person
- Child Price: USD 218.90 per person
Single supplement price is $750.00.
No triple room reduction.
Madrid Arrival Transfer Madrid Barajas Airport:
$25.00 per person
Madrid Departure Transfer Madrid Barajas Airport:
$25.00 per person
Cash,Credit cards and Bank transfers.
You may confirm this reservation with a $750.00 non-refundable deposit.
Following items are included in the price and you will not charge for them:
- Buffet breakfasts; 7 dinners
Price Does Not Include:
Following items are not included in the price and you may have to pay it:
- Visas and vaccinations.
- Laundry; telephone; minibar; alcohol, beverages, and food outside of the contracted menu as presented at a hotel or restaurant (these extra items will be billed to you before leaving the hotel, ship, or restaurant)
- Additional excursions and activities not listed as 'included' in the itinerary.
- Travel Protection premiums.
- Transfers; tips to your Tour or Cruise Director, Local Host, driver, Local Guides, and/or ships' crew; gratuities on ferries, trains, and cruise ships; porterage at airports or train stations.
- The price listed does not include your airfare.
Please read the policies carefully. This section contains important information.
* CHILD POLICIES: Children ages 8 to 17 on the date of departure are welcomed if accompanied by an adult.
* INFANT POLICY: Infant less than 2 years old consider infant and free of charge ( Except flight ticket ).
* MEALS: Buffet breakfasts; 7 dinners
* CANCELLATION POLICY: 25% Penalty less than 2 weeks to arrival - 50% Penalty less than 1 week to arrival - 100% Penalty less than 1 days to arrival or no shows.
* VALID FOR: Minimum 2 person travelling together.
* REMARK: Not applicable on TBA space. Not applicable to custom tours. Not combinable with any other promotion except the Journeys Club Repeat Traveler benefit and the current air promo. Applies to new 2015 bookings only, and offer will not be applied to pre-existing bookings. Offer reliant on space availability. Full cancellation penalties will apply.
* AIRPORT TRANSFER TIMES & FLIGHT WINDOWS: Madrid Arrival Madrid Barajas Airport - 6:00 AM - 4:00 PM
SET TRANSFERS AT 9:00am, 11:00am, 1:00pm, 3:00pm & 5:00pm
Madrid Departure Madrid Barajas Airport - 6:00 AM - 4:00 PM
You might find some useful information here:
* NOTE: March 29 Departure – Holy Week in Seville
April 19 Departure – Feria in Seville
December 22 Departure – New Year's "Reveillon" dinner in Marrakesh.
Some links to related information: